Wednesday 21 September 2011

Audience Research


Interviews
Today I interviewed two different indie rock fans. From these interviews I hope to recieve to information that can be helpful in creating our music video. Both people being interviewed prefered not to be filmed however I took a photo of both the scripts. Here is how the scripts went.

Name: Jeremiah
Sex: Male
Age: 15
Me: What type of clothes do you wear?
Jel: Checked shirts, skinny chinos and skinny jeans, sometimes a hat, polos,
Me: Do you see indie rock artists as icons and role models?
Jel: I like to wear similar clothes to them, and try to follow a similar fashion to them, however I dont believe the whole persona of the artists are iconic.
Me: What appeals to you in the indie/rock genre?
Jel: Guitar playing is a huge aspect of it, along with the unusual types of imagery presented.
Me: Do you enjoy guitar solos?
Jel: yes, prefer ryths in music, a constant beat to the song,
Me: What do you expect to see an artist wearing in a video?
Jel: Skinny jeans, boots, sometimes something that challenges fashion.
Me: Do you go to gigs on a regular basis?
Jel: No
Me: When was the last gig you went to?
Jel: May (4months ago), glasvegas, indie rock band in London, however go to glastonbury every year.
Me: In indie rock music videos what do you expect to see?
Jel: Guitar solos, a lot of action, things happening through out the performance that involve the artist 
Me: Why do you expect to see these?
Jel: because I know what the genre conventions are like and most artists stick to them in their videos.

From this interview we are able to recieve an idea of what indie rock fans look for in music videos, also what the typical conventions are of the videos. This interview is helpful to us as it gives us an idea of what we should feature in our video.



Name: Amy
Sex: Female
Age: 25
Me: What type of clothes do you wear?
Amy: In fashion clothing! Check the magazines, look up to role models,
Me: Is any of your fashion based around indie Rock?
Amy: Female indie rock artists usually dress quite punky, I wear skinny jeans however do not dress specifically like the artists.
Me: Do you see indie rock artists as icons and role models?
Amy: I dont base my fashion around them as much as boys maybe do, I feel as though I like the lifestyle they live, however I dont look up to them as role models.
Me: What appeals to you in the indie/rock genre?
Amy: I really like the genre as a whole, I like the combination of all the conventions, I also like the way the genre is sometimes challenged in different ways.
Me: What do you mean 'challenge the conventions of the genre'?
Amy: sometimes artists experiment in their videos by exploring different video techniques, I like the way artists dress up differently, and the videos are usually wacky and fictional. But also have a serious side to them within the music.
Me: What do you expect to see an artist wearing in a video?
Amy: Sometimes you see artists just wearing typical clothing such as skinny jeans however more commonly these days artists seem to wear almost fancy dress outfits. This helps draw me into the video.
Me: Do you go to gigs on a regular basis?
Amy: yes I try go once a week on wednesday indie nights in a bar local to me, however I go at least twice a month without fail.
Me: In indie rock music videos what do you expect to see?
Amy: I expect to see classic elements of indie and rock such as drumming and guitar scenes however I also like to see a twist in a video.

I decided to interview a female to get a different point of view. With this interview I find out that indie rock videos can challenge the conventions of the genre. Also maybe fans like to see this genre challenged. 


No comments:

Post a Comment